Arrabal Neighbourhood

You are here

The most modern of the city's three quarters, it is located at the river bed that formed between the neighbourhoods of La Villa and Las Peñas.

Is tradition that to end of the century XIII is rose in Requena a monastery of monks Carmelite, the first of Castilla, and that was built outside the walls of the Villa and in the middle of its fertile huerta.

In lathe of this convent and to the foot of the peñasco fortified of the Villa is started soon the development of the old Arrabal of the Carmen, increasing its importance the made of that the road of the Madrid is deflect of its step by the Villa and had of this to West the neighborhood arrabalero.

In the Arrabal primitive, understood between the "shooter", close to the current residence of elderly, in the this and the square of the Portal of Madrid to the West, the Villa to the South and it current Avenue of the Constitution to the North, lived Jewish, dedicated to the trade, blacksmiths, mesoneros, muleteers, etc.

Front of the convent del Carmen flour mill was built, modernly demolished, moved through the waters of the acequia Rozaleme and at the exit toward Valencia forges were. Also near the convent was the brothel and the hospital, it called Posada of them Friars and the Inn of the Count of Ibangrande, as well as the House call of the salt shaker. House of the tithe and the weight the weight of the flour House was located in the present street of Marquillo. In the 18th century, closing the square Portal, arose a new convent in which a congregation of Augustinian recollect nuns settled.

Between the street of the Carmen and the of the weight is opens the square of the Arrabal (today of Spain) making is with it of the Portal in points important of the trade, together with the street of the weight, olives, etc.

The confiscation of the convent of the Carmen in 1836 and the award of the building, except the Church, to the city gave foot to in their wing North is installed the House Hall in 1851. Subsequently the cloister and other dependencies of the convent were adequate to house the first Institute of teaching Media. The orchard of the convent also became municipal property and became known as La Glorieta Park, joined Hall square. The Town Hall suffered a remodeling in 1942 and another very important finished in 1995. Part of what was the Institute of teaching Media houses today the Museo Municipal.

From the century 18th and especially from the century 19th the Arrabal is developed in the Center urban of the city concentrating the trade and them services in the streets main and them squares cited.

The old Arrabal, recollects and narrow alleyways, preserved still this resemblance to the streets of the town, which speaks of its antiquity, sprinkled with 18th mansions of Valencian influence.

Share it

Site developed with Drupal