Expansions of the Twentieth Century

You are here

In recent years, an important urban development has been carried out, which has allowed the expansion of Requena's commercial and service area.

From the main at the end of the 18th century who joined the neighborhood of Las Peñas with the Arrabal del Carmen and enlarged the district I boat North, noteworthy upgrades in the town of Requena not occurred until the end of the 50s of the 20th century.

In 1936, before the start of the Civil War, it was set on fire and destroyed the convent of San Jose of the Augustinian recollect sisters, which closed square of Madrid portal in its west part. This fact gave rise to in 1941 a new urban plan raised a modern expansion of the city towards the West, over the orchards, with a perfect vision of the future that has served and has developed over more than fifty years. This urban plan is known as "Plan Borso", because it was designed by the engineer Cayetano Borso.

In the new ensanche of the West dominated them streets in grid, on two important axes that, crossing is perpendicular, as the Cardus and the Decumanus of them cities Roman, form the wide avenue of the Arrabal and it of Lamo of Espinosa.

The Avenida del Arrabal has in its inception the so-called fountain of ducks. In the crossing with the Avenue of Lamo of Espinosa the known as source of colors and in the section following the monument Universal to the vintage, being very next the square of bulls. In its termination just with a wide roundabout and a gateway on the old road N-III that communicates with the enclosure fair.

He process of construction of neighborhoods new is was developing to it long of the second half of the century XX, although had its antecedent in 1911 with the building of the "neighborhood worker", next to the Plaza of bulls. In chronological order, rising districts of Salas Pombo (popularly of Korea) along the old road of Albacete, de Manuel Cánovas (or 103) to the West of the Plaza de Toros de Cirilo Cánovas (popularly Gila district) located in the eastern part, in the area of the Higuerillas, of the turret to the Southwest, to the other side of the old N - III.

To the North and South of the Avenida del Arrabal have been producing expansions becoming limits avenues of the railroad to the North and the old road national-South. On the eastern side and beyond the Regajo of Queens was designed in 1974 a residential development known as "San José" and late twentieth and early twenty-first district the raft Moors or Amorós. Also in this part, the Regional Hospital was built in 1992 around which there are new housing developments, known as Casablanca.

Starting of the street Constitution and next to the outpatient is drew the Avenue of Alfonso X that today arrives until the highway and that has of serve of axis for new developments in what was it called Huerta of Honrrubia between the Regajo of Queens and the neighborhood of Gila and them penalties.

The expansions of the West in various educational institutions, municipal pool, the Sports Centre and indoor swimming pool were built. Out of the city, more to the West, between the ancient road N-III and the railway, was built the polygon Industrial of the Romeral. On the Avenida de Alfonso X is the ambulatory, the courts of the Judicial party and IES Oleana.

Share it

Site developed with Drupal