Christ the Savior Church
The construction of the Church of El Salvador, that from the century XV led the title of Archpriest of all the region, is starts in 1380 on an old chapel dedicated to Santa Barbara

HISTORY

The Church of el Salvador, along with the Church of Santa Maria, is an excellent example of the so-called Elizabethan Gothic or flamboyant Gothic. Its construction began in 1380, on an ancient chapel dedicated to Santa Barbara, and was completed in 1533. In 1409 it was declared main church of La Villa and in 1519, with frequent disputes, rattan ruled the pre-eminence of the Church of the Savior on the Church of St. Nicholas. First parish archives began in 1531, it was declared a main parish in 1601 and in 1647, in virtue of a Papal bull issued by Pope Innocent X, he was awarded the title of Archpriest Church. The Papal funeral, the reception of Kings and prelates, the publication of papal bulls, Saturday mass and octaves of the procession of the Corpus were celebrated in the Church of el Salvador.

On June 4, 1931 it was declared, along with the Church of Santa Maria, a national monument. In August 1936 the interior of the Church was completely razed disappearing images, altarpieces, files and ornaments, which were burned in front of the Church.

FACADE

The composition of the facade is similar to the Church of Santa Maria. The cover, with form flare, occupies from the soil to the rosette. At the top, outside the home, appears the pediment topped with a cornice of stone with Elizabethan balls and rosette. Between this and the archivolts, we can see the typical Gothic tracery decoration.

In its staggered threshold appears a bank pedestal from which three flare archivolts decorated with floral leaves and ties, chains start except in the plant that is decorated with leaves and bunches of grapes. In the intercolumniation more outside is represent, low canopy, six pairs of Virgin with tributes in the hands and in the more interior found five pairs of Angels with symbols of the passion.

The Transfiguration of the Lord, a hieratic and almost Romanesque Salvador surrounded by a mandorla of Angels is represented on the tympanum, decorated with Gothic tracery. At the bottom, and at the beginning of the archivolts, we would find the figure of the Apostles on pedestals decorated with leaves of oak, fronds and heraldic motifs. Currently the Apostles are quite damaged or with missing and only is retains complete the image of San Pedro.

In the central axis of the cover we find mullion or mullion between two doors. In this, low canopy and on pedestal was located the image of the Virgin Mary that disappeared during the Guerra Civil.

L' INTERIOR

It is a temple with a central nave and two side chapels in its buttresses. The ships are divided in four sections and the header. The first, at the foot, corresponds to the access and acts as a threshold. To them three sections following continuous the header, which to his time is split in two sections one corresponding to the apse and the other to a false ambulatory or retrochoir. Them two sections that agree with them feet of the temple were rebuilt from 1779 because is toppled to the sink is the Tower Bell that is had high in 1636. Barrel vault and decorative simplicity of these two sections speak to us of this fact. Third section the apses, and in the aisles, the Gothic naves, can be seen clearly while covered by a delicate Baroque ornamentation carried out by the famous master Juan Pérez Castiel.

BELL TOWER

The Tower belfry current is of the last third of the century 18th with its base of stone and its part top of brick, with six arcades for its six campaigns. It is topped by a hipped roof covered by tiles blue Spire that culminates with ball, Weathercock and a highly decorated cross-shaped.

THE COMMUNION CHAPEL

The communion Chapel, neoclassical style, was built in the mid-eighteenth century by Juan Pérez Castiel, on the site of an ancient House-Abbey attached to the Church of el Salvador. Inside, octagonal, consists of a classical composition of semicircular arches framed by Corinthian pilasters. The chapel on the outside appears as a prismatic volume drum, dome covered with blue tiles and flashlight. The door of the Chapel, is classical moulding with lintel straight and adovelado. In the drum, with eight windows, we find a small niche decorated with Corinthian pilasters and pediment.

Share it

Site developed with Drupal