The Fortress
The Requena castle was built during the reign of the Caliphs, from the 8th to the 11th centuries.

HISTORY

The fortress of Requena is a castle of Muslim origin, which has undergone several restorations and adaptations over the centuries. Interventions from different eras are left note on their walls of rammed earth, masonry, stonework and brick. Restorations continued until the 17TH century and returned to resume on the occasion of the Carlist Wars. It is located in the highest space of the mound tobaceo, which was built on former Iberian and Roman settlements, called La Villa in the medieval district.

The importance of the fortress of Requena lies in that this population was border during centuries. In time of the Muslim taifas belonged to the Kingdom of Valencia, in the line with the Muslim Kingdom of Toledo. In 1239, already in time Christian, was included in the United of Castilla by the intervention of the Bishop of basin, D. Gonzalo Ibanez, to the King Spanish Fernando III, satisfying an old ambition of the clergy Castilian of annexing is Requena.

Already in the middle of the century XVI his trench was partly terrified and without use. To late of the century 17TH and principles of the 18th, when the fortress lost its function defensive, is built houses townhouses to their walls and towers leaving so masked the wingspan of the Castle and its walls.

The progressive abandonment of the Fort was its deterioration, but did not have other uses not defensive. In 1802 the walls overlooking to the suburb, were demolished by his evil State, and all that remained of spaces built up inside, in order to adapt it to the Bullring and other shows. Then will serve as pediment of game of ball and finally, them owners of them houses stuck to the penalty in the arrabal made use particular of this space inside of the old fortress.

The powerful Tower of the 15th century became in prison of the Justice Party in the 19th century, or perhaps earlier, until 1955 when it was restored for Museum and became crowned with battlements as it had originally. Between the end of the 20th century and the beginning of the twenty-first is the restoration of the sturdy wall of the front door, knocking down all houses attached to such walls and the two square towers that flank the door.

Is thus to the view the scale of the construction, with 10 meters of height and 3 of thickness in them walls, excelling in height and thickness them two towers cited. In the Tower of the right, looking from the outside, and in his corner left highlights the exploitation, as sillar, of a tombstone Roman. In this way inside has been open and without any construction, becoming all in parade ground, used currently for shows in the afternoons and nights of summer. Most outstanding ornamental detail from the Tower of homage is the rope carved in stone.

Share it

Site developed with Drupal